Level: BTEC Level 3 Diploma and Subsidiary Diploma
- C grade in GCSE PE or Merit in Level 2 BTEC Sport
- C grade in GCSE English
- C grade in GCSE Science is also desirable
This is a two year, Level 3 course leading to a qualification, which is the equivalent to one A Level at A-E grade. It is a practical, vocational course that focuses on developing a sound understanding and working knowledge of a variety of aspects of sport and is good preparation for students who wish to move onto study fitness, exercise or sport at university, or pursue a career in the sports industry.
You will study three compulsory units:
- Unit 1: Principles of Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
- Unit 2: The Physiology of Fitness
- Unit 3: Assessing Risk in Sport
You will also study three other units during the two year course from the following:
- Unit 7: Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise
- Unit 8: Practical Team Sports
- Unit 13: Leadership in Sport
- Unit 14: Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
Students may also have the opportunity to gain further qualifications in fitness instructing, first aid and coaching.
The course consists of six units with each unit having a separate assessment. Assessment takes place throughout the course and is generally through written assignments. Assessment will be in the form of:
- Case Studies
- Sports Performances
You will be taught a range of skills whilst on the course that will help you with your studies and will allow you to develop into an independent learner.
On completion of the course, you will be awarded a Pass, Merit or Distinction*. To obtain a Merit or Distinction* grade you will need to consistently demonstrate high level skills.
This qualification supports progression into further and higher education, training or employment in the following areas:
- Health and fitness instruction
- Careers in leisure and recreation
- Sport development and/or management
- Sports coaching
- Sports therapy
Other opportunities exist in sports sciences, recreation and leisure studies, physiotherapy, the Armed Forces and the Civil Service.
For more information please get in touch with on of the following:
Mr D Smith - email@example.com
Mrs C Edmed - firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr M Rose – email@example.com
Mr S Fantania – firstname.lastname@example.org